frequently asked questions
what is miracle network dance marathon?
miracle network dance marathon is a movement activating university and high school students at more than 300 schools across North America—all raising money for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Students involved in planning for the dance marathon event spend a year gaining leadership, teamwork, and nonprofit business experience while raising funds and interacting with children’s hospital patients and families. The year culminates with a 12-40 hour event (dance marathon) where students stay on their feet through dancing, games and entertainment in symbolic support of children served by their local CMN Hospital. More students participate in miracle network dance marathon than any other student-led philanthropy in the United States, and is growing at a massive pace in Canada. Since its founding in 1991, this North American movement has raised more than $135 million for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.
why should i get involved as a student leader?
miracle network dance marathon is project-based learning at its best. You will take the lead in all planning and decision making. You will develop valuable leadership experience running the organization, its various committees, and events. You will build a network within your university or high school, with partners, and amongst the hundreds of thousands of participants across north america. Whether you are interested in a career in advertising, event planning, medicine, engineering, nonprofit, business, entrepreneurship, government, civil service, or really anything else - miracle network dance marathon will give you real-world, knock your job interviewer's socks off, resume quality, hands-on experience.
why should my organization consider becoming a partner?
As a partner, you have the opportunity to gain access to hundreds of thousands of student dancers and their network of donors, align your brand with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals’ internationally recognized charitable brand, and position your brand alongside the largest student-run philanthropy in North America.
where do the funds go?
All funds raised through miracle network dance marathon are donated directly to your local Children's Miracle Network Hospital to help local kids. these donations have gone to support research and training, purchase equipment, and pay for uncompensated care, all to save and improve the lives of as many children as possible. If you are in the United States, click here to find your CMN Hospital. If you are located in Canada, please click here.
how do I get started?
Send us a message using the form on the "contact us" page. Your miracle network dance marathon manager will reach out to you, set up a time to connect, and help you put together a plan to bring your vision to life.
am I on my own?
We would never leave you alone on the dance floor! Our team is here to support you, guide you, and cheer you on every step of the way. The miracle network dance marathon manager is an employee of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, based in one of fifteen regions across north america. Your dance marathon manager will work closely with you, your local hospital, and your school to ensure that everyone involved has the necessary resources and knowledge to create a successful program. Your manager has extensive experience with and training on miracle network dance marathon best practices and will serve as an advisor for everything related to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and the miracle network dance marathon movement. Our managers have been in your shoes as students or advisors planning dance marathons. They are eager to help you make your mark on the world- for the kids. Additionally, your hospital representative (a member of your local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital) will work with you to enhance the cause connection between miracle network dance marathon, your school, and your local hospital. They will provide connections to miracle families, organize site visits and tours at the hospital and help you understand the impact of your fundraising.
why should my school participate in miracle network dm?
help students develop skills through hands-on experience.
- miracle network dance marathon is project-based learning at its best.
- Students take the lead in all planning and decision making.
- Students develop valuable leadership experience and gain real-world experience.
provide students with a unique service-learning opportunity.
- miracle network dance marathon helps instill a habit of giving and creates civically-minded citizens for life
- Students apply classroom learning to real community problems by operating a year long fundraising organization.
set your institution apart.
- miracle network dance marathon gives your school an edge among students increasingly concerned with choosing an institution that aligns with their values, not just their major.
- Support of the program demonstrates that your school supports student programming and social responsibility.
- Your school will become part of a north american movement in higher education, aligning with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals’ internationally recognized charitable brand.
- Your school will join an elite network of high schools, colleges, and universities across North America that can help your institution recruit and retain elite students.
encourage a sense of community.
- miracle network dance marathon unites your entire campus—all students, faculty and staff across all classes, majors, and interests—around a single, local cause.
- The program can enhance your school’s public image and bring heightened awareness to the institution in association with a strong charitable brand.
- Your school can demonstrate that it is an engaged community partner.
what is an advisor and how can i become one?
A miracle network dance marathon school advisor is a current staff or full-time faculty member who is willing to donate their time, effort and advice to support dance marathon. This individual serves as a resource and assists the student organization in navigating school policies and procedures. Advisors serve as a liaison to the office of student involvement/student affairs and promote and support the development of the dance marathon student organization. The specific roles and responsibilities of an advisor vary depending on the organization and the advisor, but they commonly assist most with leadership development. Through personal interaction and program development, advisors play a significant role in helping students develop leadership and life skills and help identify new leaders for the organization. Interested in becoming an advisor? Please go contact us.